Prof. Alberto Girlando
Curriculum Born in 1946 (Siena, Italy), Alberto Girlando earned the Laurea degree in Chemistry from Padova University in 1970, magna cum laude. He started and pursued his academic career by the same University, up to the Associate Professor position. During sabbatical leave (1979) he worked as Postoctoral Fellow by the IBM Research Laboratories of San José (California). In 1987 he was appointed full Professor in Chemical Physics, and moved to Parma University. The scientific interests of Prof. Girlando have been mainly addressed to the study of molecular materials characterized by special electrical and optical properties, namely, charge-transfer crystals, organic metals and superconductors, organic semiconductors. In such studies, detailed spectroscopic measurements (polarized absorption and reflectance, Raman, and microspectro- photometric techniques) have been always associated with the development of interpretative models and quantum chemical computational methods. The electron-phonon coupling, both intra-molecular and inter-molecular, in the presence of important electron-electron interactions is the focus of the theoretical developments. On the experimental side particular attention is devoted to the pressure and temperature induced phase transitions and to the characterization of ultrathin organic films grown by a variety of techniques (self-assembled, Langmuir-Blodgett, molecular beams). Prof. Girlando is author of more than 150 publications in international refereed journals (ISI h-index 1992-2011: 24), and of approximately as much communications to scienticic congresses. He is member of the Società Chimica Italiana (SCI), of the Americal Physical Society (APS) and of the American Chemical Society (ACS). He acts as a referee for several APS and ACS journals, and has been recently ackowledeged as "Outstanding Reeree" of APS Physical Review B and Physical Review Letters.
Prof. Girlando, retired since Novembre 1st, is presently Research Guest by the Department of Chemistry, Life Science and Environmental Sustainability of Parma University.
1) A. Brillante, I. Bilotti, R. G. Della Valle, E. Venuti, M. Masino, A. Girlando, Characterization of phase purity in organic semiconductors by lattice-phonon confocal Raman mapping: Application to pentacene, Adv. Mater. 17, 2549 (2005)
2) A.Girlando, A.Painelli, S.A.Bewick, Z.G.Soos (invited paper), Charge fluctuations and electron-phonon coupling in organic charge-transfer salts with neutral-ionic and Peierls transitions, Synth. Metals, 141, 129 (2004).
3) F. Terenziani, A. Painelli, A. Girlando, R. M. Metzger, From solutions to Langmuir-Blodgett films: Spectroscopic stydy of a zwitterionic dye, J. Phys. Chem.B 108, 10743-10750 (2004)
4) M. Masino, A. Girlando, and Z.G. Soos, Evidence of a soft mode in the temperature induced neutral-ionic transition of TTF-CA, Chem. Phys. Lett. 369, 428 (2003).
5) A.Girlando, M. Masino, R.G. Della Valle, A. Brillante, and E. Venuti, Pairing mechanism in organic superconductors: the entangled role of phonons, in: "New Developments in Superconductivity Research", R.W. Stevens Ed., NOVA Science Publisher, Hauppauge, NY (2003) p. 15
|MMAA - UniversitÓ di parma - 2004 - Tutti i diritti riservati||Sito web realizzato da Peri Andrea|